Address : Physics Department, IIT Bombay, Mumbai- 400076, India
Residence : 6C, Anjaneya CHS, Opp. Hiranandani School,
Orchard Avenue, Powai, Mumbai- 400 076
Office : (+91)22-2576 7562
Residence :(+91)22-2570 0381
Fax : (+91) 22-2576 7552
** While calling from India do not dial country code (+91) but
prefix 0 before 22. If calling from Mumbai omit STD code 22.
- M.Sc. (Physics), 1966 from Ravenshaw College, Cuttack Utkal University
(University Gold Medalist)
- Ph. D. from Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Bombay, India in 1971 on “Study of Magnetic Hamiltonians” under the guidance of late Professor Chanchal Kumar Majumdar.
- Post Doctoral at Bristol University, Bristol, England with Professor John Ziman. (1971-72)
- Post Doctoral at the Northwestern Universty, Evanston, Illinois, USA with late Professor K. S. Singwi. (1972-73)
My research interest has been mainly in the area of theoretical aspects of magnetism with emphasis on exactly solvable models. An exactly solvable model proposed by me with my late supervisor Chanchal Majumdar (Ref. J. Math. Phys. Vol 10, 1399, 1969) has been extensively referred to in the literature as Majumdar-Ghosh model (A pedagogical description of this model may be found in Assa Auerbach’s book on “Interacting Electrons and Quantum Magnetism”, Springer Verlag, 1994. The model consists of an antiferromagnetic Heisengerg like model with the strength of the next nearest neighbour interaction half the nearest neighbour strength. The next nearest neighbour strength partially frustrates the nearest neighbour correlations.
Yet another exact result proved by me is on the non-existence of magnetic ordering in one and two dimensional Hubbard model (Ref : Physical Review Letters Vol 27, 1584, 1971).
Currently I am working on application of Monte Carlo techniques to integer spin systems which show Haldane gap.
Recent Publications :
- Extended Hubbard Model in two dimensions, J. Mag. Magn. Materials 104, 741 (1992) (with M. Laad)
- Three magnon bound states in S=1 chain with next nearest neighbour interactions, J. Phys. Cond. Matter, 4, 9651 (1992) (with C. Y. Kadolkar)
- A scheme for representation of matrices of permutation group using spin paired functions, Int. J. Quant. Chem. 47, 85 (1993) (with C. Y. Kadolkar and C. R. Sarma)
- Superconductivity, Solid State Chemistry, D. K. Chakrabarty, eds. pp. 197-222, New Age publishers (1996)
- Haldane gap in S=2 XXZ antiferromagnet, J. Mag. Materials, 177, 181 (1997) (with C. Y. Kadolkar and Sahana Murthy)
- Graphical Technique for indexing general spin systems, Intl. J. quantum Chem. 73, 389 (1999) (with C. Y.Kadolkar and C.R. Sarma)
- Variational Monte Carlo study of spin one quantum antiferromagnet on a fractal lattice, J. Appl. Phys. 95, 6992 (2004)
- <>The M-G Hamiltonian– A Pedagogic Review, Ind. J. Phys. 80, 577 (2006)
- MECHANICS AND THERMODYNAMICS, Published by Tata McGraw Hill, first in 1984 has been reprinted 14 times. Co-author G. Basavaraju
- Current semester : EP-307 Quantum Mechanics -I
- Spring Semeseter : PH-534 Quantum Computing and Information (Tentative, with Prof. S.S. Jha)
- Lecturer at the University of California at Santacruz, USA, 1973-74
- Briefly worked as a lecturer at Viswa Bharati University, Santiniketan
- Since 1974 at the Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay, India Professor of Physics since 1985.
- International Centre for Theoretical Physics, Trieste, Italy Visited in 1969, 1971 and 1999
- Exactly Solvable Problems in Physics, TIFR Panchgani School, 1985
- International Conference on Magnetism, Cairns, Australia, 1998
International Conference on Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, Annaheim, USA, 2001
Chairman Joint Entrance Examination (JEE) : 1988
Head of the Department of Physics, 1989-92
Chairman, Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) : 1994
Dean, Student affairs (DOSA) : 1995-98
Head, Computer Center, 1998-2001
Dean , Resource Mobilization - 2002-05
Deputy Director, IIT, From Feb. 2005 -06
PRESIDENT, INDIAN PHYSICS ASSOCIATION (2005-07)
- Served as a member of advisory committee in Basic sciences of Board of Research in Nuclear sciences of the Department of Atomic Energy in 1997-98
- Member National Steering Committee on Physics Olympiad
- Member of Board of Governors of SVNIT, Surat
- Member, Academic Council, Homi Bhabha National Institute, Mumbai
- Gave invited lectures at the special session of Condensed Matter Days-2005, held at Berhmapur (29-31 August, 2005)
- Gave keynote address (Quantum Cryptography) at the Annual Convention of Indian association of Physics Teachers, held at Bhubaneswar (21-23 October 2005).