The research in my group focuses on the physics of biological systems. We study biophysical processes at the cellular and tissue scales using theoretical and computational techniques. We are interested in understanding how an observed physical or mechanical process is regulated by the underlying bio-chemical process(es) and vice versa. To do this, we use methods from statistical physics, nonlinear dynamics and soft-matter physics.
- Collective phenomena in biological active matter
- Pattern formation during morphogenesis
- Active and passive transport inside cells
- Comparison of mechanisms of kinetochore capture with varying number of spindle microtubules.
Indrani Nayak, Dibyendu Das, and Amitabha Nandi.
Physical Review Research, 2, 013114 (2020).
- Non-gaussian subdiffusion of single-molecule tracers in a hydrated polymer network.
R. K. Singh, Jaladhar Mahato, Arindam Chowdhury, Anirban Sain, and Amitabha Nandi.
The Journal of Chemical Physics, 152, 024903 (2020).
- Cyto-architecture constrains a photoactivation induced tubulin gradient in the syncytial Drosophila embryo.
Sameer Thukral, Bivash Kaity, Bipasha Dey, Swati Sharma, Amitabha Nandi, Mithun Mitra, and Richa Rikhy.
(To appear in The International Journal of Developmental Biology) (2020).
- Active dynamics of tissue shear flow.
Marko Popović, Amitabha Nandi, Matthias Merkel, Raphaël Etournay, Suzanne Eaton, Frank Jülicher, Guillaume Salbreux.
New Journal of Physics, 19, 033006 (2017).
- Interplay of Cell Dynamics and Epithelial Tension during Morphogenesis of the Drosophila Pupal Wing.
Raphaël Etournay*, Marko Popovic*, Matthias Merkel*, Amitabha Nandi*, Corinna Blasse, Benoit Aigouy, Holger Brandl, Gene Myers, Guillaume Salbreux, Frank Jülicher, Suzanne Eaton.
Elife, 4, e07090 (2015).
- Regulated tissue fluidity steers zebrafish body elongation.
Andrew K. Lawton, Amitabha Nandi, Michael J. Stulberg, Nicolas Dray, Michael W. Sneddon, William Pontius, Thierry Emonet, Scott A. Holley.
Development, 140, 573 (2013).
- Pivoting of microtubules around the spindle pole accelerates kinetochore capture.
Iana Kalinina, Amitabha Nandi, Petrina Delivani, Mariola R.Chacón, Anna H. Klemm, Damien Ramunno-Johnson, Alexander Krull, Benjamin Lindner, Nenad Pavin, Iva M. Tolic-Nørrelykke.
Nature Cell Biology, 15, 82 (2013).
- Distribution of diffusion measures from a local mean-square displacement analysis.
Amitabha Nandi, Doris Heinrich, Benjamin Lindner.
Phys. Rev. E, 86, 021926 (2012).
- Local motion analysis reveals impact of the dynamic cytoskeleton on intracellular subdiffusion.
Marcus Otten*, Amitabha Nandi*, Delphine Arcizet, Mari Gorelashvili, Benjamin Lindner, Doris Heinrich.
Biophysical Journal, 102, 758 (2012).